The other day on Instagram, one of my blogger babes, Tonye theblackwriter asked a question on what self love and self care means to us as individuals, and I remember writing a really long comment about what I have come to know self love and care to be. Self love like I wrote there, is basically about embracing your individuality, valuing and prioritising yourself, and striving to be the best version of yourself for yourself and those around you. In the spirit of self love and care, I’ll be sharing certain things you need to start doing for yourself in today’s #mondayinspiration post that will make you a better person and help you live a happier and fulfilling life.
How was your weekend? Mine was pretty eventful, I went hiking and did that thing I was feeling scared of as I mentioned here
Oh, and happy belated mother’s day to all our yummy mamas out there. We love you!
Being selfless is one of the greatest qualities that a person could have. The genuine feeling of making someone else feel loved, appreciated and satisfied without no form of ulterior motive is bliss. However, when it comes to your personal life and things that involve you, you
might will have to be selfish.
You as a jar, when completely drained cannot pour out anything into the cups because there’s nothing left in you. And, this is what happens when you refuse to take care of yourself and do certain things for yourself that help you stay filled. You’re completely drained. If anything is going to come out of the jar, it must first be full. Do you get it?
If you haven’t been doing them before, these are the 10 things you should start doing for yourself
1. Start Prioritising Your Happiness: You need to be happy and stay happy. It’s okay to do everything to make others happy, but if at the end you’re miserable what’s the point? Your happiness matters, and trust me when you’re happy, you’re in a better position to make people around you happy too. Sometimes, you may not even need to do anything, just a genuine happy smile from you makes a person’s day. It is important for you to do everything that makes you happy.
2. Start Embracing Your Individuality: There’s a uniqueness inside of you that only you possesses. Not embracing it would mean that the world is deficient of it -and the world needs it. Your individuality is your superpower, embrace it. Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person that you are. Don’t forget that.
3. Start Learning How To Face Your Fears Head On: It is very important, that in whatever you do never allow fear to win. You need to start learning to do things afraid. Fear, if you let it win will hinder you from blooming into your purpose. And so, to keep that from happening, you need to start learning how to face your fear head on. Practically, not so easy, but it must be done gradually for you to achieve certain things in life.
4. Start Paying More Attention To Your Mental Health: I can’t even stress this enough. Guys please take everything that affects your mind and brain very seriously. It’s okay not to have it all figured out at once, most of us don’t and that’s the truth. Everyone is just trying to get by everyday. Whatever toxic thing you feel is having too much effect on you should be avoided at all cost. And if you feel that you can’t handle, please as difficult as it might be, try and talk to someone. The world still needs that thing that is peculiar to you. Take care of yourself.
5. Start Spending Your Time With The Right People: Remember that you’re the average of the people you spend your most time with. So, if your circle happens to feed you trash, you’re going to end up becoming trash, which isn’t good for you. For your growth and overall wellbeing, you should spend your time with the right people, not toxic people or people who have no understanding of the person you’re working hard to become. You owe it to yourself to be around people who add value to your life, who challenge you positively to become a better version of yourself. If the energy is not matched, please feel free to remove yourself from those relationships.
6. Start Working Towards Your Goals Everyday: Procrastination is one of the things I often battle with, and I end up paying dearly for it those times. For each day you find yourself still on this earth, you should ask yourself ‘what have I done today that has moved me closer to my goals?’ Every little efforts counts, and so you should try as much as you can to work towards your goals everyday.
7. Start Investing In Things That Can Add Value To Your Life: Becoming a person of value and substance doesn’t come by simply ‘wishing’. An action must follow. It is very important that you invest your time and resources into things that can add value to your life and transform you completely. The world is changing really fast, and it’s no news that people only associate with competence. The only way you can stand out is when people see that value in you.
8. Start Taking Gratitude Very Seriously: Nobody likes an ungrateful person. You should develop an attitude of gratitude for all that you are, and all that you have (even those you don’t have yet) A grateful person is more likely to receive more when they show gratitude. There’s always something to be thankful for no matter how little.
9. Start Mastering The Art Of Positive Thinking: Staying positive like I always say, doesn’t negate the fact that certain negative situations and thoughts will not still try to will shake you. It however means that you’ve decided to react rather differently from seeing just the problem. You thoughts have broadened to seeing a solution. That’s the power of positive thinking. You need to master it.
10. Start Taking Full Responsibility For Your Life: I mean, its your life after all. You need to start taking charge of your life and all that concerns it. Don’t allow somebody’s opinion of how you should run your life make you feel like you’re not worthy. YOU were given this life because you are strong enough to live it, and you have all it takes to be in charge of it. So take charge.
Sometimes, you have to be selfish a little to be properly selfless in the long run.