There are certain moments in our lives where, despite putting all efforts in, life just seems to have other plans for us. Everything seems to be going wrong and downhill, and we are just left clueless and extremely frustrated. I don’t know about you, but I can sure relate. No matter how successful you are, these downhill moments happen to come with the ‘life package’ and it’s not the kind that you can turn down. However, there are certain things you can always remind yourself of in times like this, and in today’s #mondayinspiration post, I’ll be sharing 6 of them.
I hope you’re having a good day so far?
In this journey of life, certain things will come at you so fast, you won’t even know what hit you. Sometimes, they come in multiple folds that you begin to ask yourself what you did to end up in that position.
Do I hear a ‘Been there, Done that.’?
Life is a mixture of both the good and the bad, and sometimes you get to experience both, other times you experience the latter more greatly than the former. It is what it is.
Personally, I have come to hold on greatly to the this quote whenever I go through times like this; ‘In life, you either win or you learn’. For every time, things go downhill for me, I know that there’s something to take as a lesson from that situation, and so, I only need to reassure and remind myself of some things that I will now share with you.
1. Nothing Lasts Forever: The pain or struggle that I may be experiencing at that moment is like every other thing in life; temporary. The moment you remind yourself that your struggles have an expiry date, your breakthrough starts from there. Always remind yourself that “This too shall pass”. I know that at times a like this, you’re so sad and depressed and you couldn’t even care less, but you have to remember that the moment you treat that situation like it’s a big deal, then it becomes so big that it hovers round every area of your life. This kind of thinking doesn’t just come by sitting down and hoping some magic happens to turn the clock, you have to be intentional about it. Once you keep reminding yourself of this, your brain begins to find ways for you to get out of it.
2. It’s Okay To Talk To People And Even Ask For Help: I have come to realize that when we are experiencing downhill moments, we will ourselves into thinking we can get through it alone, after all ‘I am an adult’. Some times, we can’t get through it alone, we need support and help. But our egos and pride gets in the way, and we end up miserable, forgetting that it doesn’t have to be a lonely journey. Let me first say that if you do not have someone in your circle that you can confide in and talk to, then you need to check yourself or change your circle. The ‘strong’ facade that a lot of us put up is part of the things that affect our mental health, and complicate things. Sometimes, you just want to bare it all and talk about the happenings in your life without the dear fear of being judged or misunderstood, and it’s okay. Life wasn’t meant for you to go through alone, you have amazing people all around you to get you through hard times. Take advantage of that or if you can’t do that, then look for a professional to help you out.
3. Be Grateful For The Things That Are Going Well: At times like this, I would totally agree that, it is so difficult to be grateful. In fact, gratitude is the last thing on your mind seeing as ‘everything’ isn’t going as planned. Regardless, there are tons of things to be grateful for. On Twitter everyday, there’s something that a particular family is going through, and we are asked to retweet so that they can find help somehow. Either someone going through a serious ailment, or someone is missing, or someone is suicidal, or someone is having difficulty completing payment for one thing or the other, to mention but few. I look at these situations and I empathize with these families because I can’t even imagine what they are going through. I’m sure if you look at your life deeply, you would see something worth being thankful for. Don’t underestimate the power of gratitude when things are going downhill.
4. Find Your Positive Energy: Every time I put up my weekly affirmations on Instagram I always include positivity. That’s because in this bitter world, positive vibes are all you need around you. That doesn’t mean you’re unrealistic and ignorant of the things around you, it just means you have the belief that, there’s good in everything, and soon there will be a way out. Try to see the solution rather than drown yourself in the problem. Worrying doesn’t solve anything, so find your positive energy and put it to work.
5. It’s Okay To Let Go: This is my approach this year, and it would be nice if you could adopt it as well. You need to accept that certain things are just not within your control! You will experience some downhill moments that will overwhelm you to the point where you’re tired physically, spiritually and psychologically. When you have no clue how to proceed, what then do you do? Let go. And let God. These days, I say a word of prayer and let things unravel by themselves. ‘Que sera, sera!’.
6. A Victory Dance Is Around The Corner: This is my mantra when I’m going through a tough time. I learned this during one of my school of disciples classes in church. They always say that ‘it’s always darkest before the dawn’ and this is both true literally and figuratively. If you study the pattern well, you’d see that that moment when it seems like you’re being suffocated with life’s struggles, a tiny window of hope or a large door of opportunity opens and ushers you into a new dawn. That situation that has gone downhill might just be what is going to birth something great for you. But you can achieve that when you give up. In every situation that goes the wrong way, there is a lesson to be learned for it. Hold on just a little bit.