For those who have been following my blog for a while, this post might seem familiar, well that’s because before I became self-hosted , I wrote this post. Fast forward to a few days back, I started thinking about the importance of a great support system as we journey through life, and I wanted to share my thoughts on it. I literally had to search for it, and after adding a few tweaks to it, voila! Here we are with the perfect case of ‘old but gold’.
I hope you had a great weekend? Mine was so fast, I had no time to chill!
While I was sitted in church yesterday, we had our quarterly Sunday school preview and one of the topics had to do with helping and supporting others, with specific reference to Aaron and Hur as they lifted up Moses’ hand during the battle between the Israelites and Amalekites. This singular act eventually led to the success on the part of the Israelites. (Exodus 17 : 12)
Often times, we all like to put up a show of having it all together when we really don’t. Truth is, it’s okay to feel lost, helpless, confused and all those other emotions we dread, but that is what makes you human. So, rather than make people think that you totally “got this” when you don’t got nothing, let them know! Especially those you know are in total sync with your person, your dreams and aspirations.
A great support system will always take you one step ahead to your success, and it is very important that we have one or more!
But really, why? I’ll tell you.
● To Help You Discover And See Your True Potentials: The kind of people you surround yourself with obviously plays a major role in your journey in life not just even career wise. Surrounding yourself with positive minded people, people who are driven and have your best interests at heart is one of the greatest investments you can ever have. They might be rare, but they definitely exist so you just have to look closely.
● To Keep You Motivated: Those days when it just seems like you’re far behind the schedule of life and everybody else seems to have it together or are catching up, this person or set of people are there to keep you motivated . I am so thankful for the amazing family and friends that make up my support system, that’s something I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. They’re there to ensure that you don’t lose hope, making sure that you come out from whatever rut you find yourself in.
● To Tell You Exactly How It Is: One of the very amazing characteristics of a great support system is being able to tell you point blank how you’re fairing in terms of attitude, achievement of goals to mention but few. They won’t sugar coat because they expect you to do the same for them. Yeah that’s right, it works both ways. Sometimes we all need some tough love to get us back on track and this is what they do.
● To Guide You On The Part Of Success: They constantly remind you that there is a height that you’re supposed to get to and they will do everything within their power to drag you there if need be. That joy you get from knowing that there is someone or some people who believe in you will drive you to do better.
● To Keep You Accountable: I learned about this just last weekend at our youth fellowship in church. We all need someone that we can confide in with our goals and aspirations, as well as tell them to keep asking about the progress. A good support system does this. You want to start out in something, tell them, and also tell them to monitor your productivity and progress in that thing so that when you seem to veer off the track, there’s someone there to show you the way back.
A great support system as the name implies, is there to ‘lift your hand’ when they seem to be coming down as a result of weariness or any other reason. While it is important that we are our own person and believe in ourselves, it is also important that we have people who put us back on track, should we waver.. Like the saying goes “no man is an island” so therefore, we all need somebody to lean on.
Over to You…
What are your thoughts on having a support system? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Have a productive week ahead!